Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Top 50 Most Dangerous Web-Search Terms in US

It's happened to us and now we know why! My Blog Sister and I (or my children) have each entered search terms which lead to malware or spyware attacking our computers! This can cause you to lose everything on your hard drive or worse--hackers can steal your identity and sensitive information! (That's why it's important to back up your information).

For example, as a corporate executive turned full-time homemaker I entered "work from home". My older son entered "free music downloads". I also entered "printable fill in puzzles" to find quality activities for my children at no cost and thus save me the time and money for a trip to the local Walmart. Christine entered "Free e-cards". Many words on the list will not surprise you like "mp3". You'll also see popular names and brands like "myspace" and "hotmail.com". If you know the e-address (hotmail.com) then enter it into browser and NOT the search box.

Now we know better and will refer to this list of dangerous Web-search terms. So here is the list provided by security firm, McAfee. For a complete news report by ABC News, click here. Read it. Study it. Memorize it. Update it by researching on your own.


THE TOP 50 MOST DANGEROUS WEB-SEARCH TERMS IN U.S. (per McAfee)
1. word unscrambler
2. lyrics
3. myspace
4. free music downloads
5. phelps, weber-gale, jones and lezak win 4x100m relay
6. free music
7. game cheats
8. printable fill in puzzles
9. free ring tones
10. solitaire
11. miniclip
12. make money
13. viva la vida (coldplay) lyrics
14. touch my body lyrics
15. love song lyrics
16. lollipop lyrics
17. my life (lil wayne) lyrics
18. weather.com
19. lowes
20. the price is right
21. kimbo slice
22. metacafe
23. hotmail.com
24. bebo
25. msn.com
26. music downloads
27. dailymotion
28. limewire
29. paper planes (m.i.a.) lyrics
30. no air lyrics
31. with you (chris brown) lyrics
32. snopes
33. wallpapers
34. free e-cards
35. text twist
36. bleeding love lyrics
37. no air by jordin sparks feat. chris brown
38. kijiji
39. mixed wrestling
40. zuma rossdale
41. paris hilton
42. pamela anderson
43. free compatibility reports
44. free people search
45. song lyrics
46. coupons
47. newgrounds
48. mp3
49. casey and caylee anthony
50. costco

Share your comments below!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right! I bet this is the reason our computer was attacked by malware because I know my family has entered these keywords recently. This list is extremely useful. Thank you for sharing this posting! [reader from Georgia]

Marte said...

Thanks for this! I don't think I've used any of those terms in search, but I will pass your link on to my ezine subscribers to help them stay safe!

Sunshine and joy,
Marte
www.marte-cliff.com