Friday, August 15, 2008

Watch Movies for FREE on Internet

I just learned from casual conversation with a colleague about a website that lets you watch movies for FREE online. So we checked it out and took it for a test drive.

The site is surfthechannel.com. They offer movies, TV shows, Documentaries, Kids programs, and Anime for free.

When visiting the site, I selected a movie, Jane Eyre. Then I received a message stating that STF (Surf the Channel) does not stream video but uses sites like You Tube, Megavideo and others. This was a plus because I was checking the site during my lunch break at work and streaming radio over the internet is not permitted since it uses extraordinary bandwidth.

So the link to view this movie took me to www.todou.com, a screen with foreign language--an Asian script, maybe Chinese, who knows. This had me a little concerned as I had never heard of todou.com. So I pressed the play button and the movie began playing. Then the bad news. The movie was choppy--as if it was streaming and repeatedly would stop and go every few seconds. My first assumption is that the company network could not handle this, if that makes sense--I'm not a techie person. So that evening, I tried it at home. Sure enough, the movie downloaded immediately and I watched it for several minutes (as a test) without interruptions.

The downside is that the movie appears on a 4" frame within my 15" screen. Not the ideal viewing for a movie with breathtaking or panoramic landscape like Dancing with Wolves. So Jane Eyre fit charmingly in the small space like music in a music box. I don't think I ever viewed a movie on a screen that small. I think the screens on airlines in first class are even bigger.

With the constant evolution of computers and televisions, perhaps there's a way to connect the two, to view these free movies on a large flatscreen TV. I'm not that advanced yet. Remember I just purchased my first LCD flatscreen TV. Television and entertainment systems are not the big tickets items in my household, obviously females rule this home.

So next time your flight is delayed for hours, find a quiet corner, sit back, stretch your legs, and pick the movie of your choice to pass the time. [Most major airports have wireless access to Internet].

IF YOU TRY http://www.surfthechannel.com/, please return to this posting and leave a comment about your experience.

1 comment:

watch movies for free said...

Thanks for the recommendation! The good streaming sites are always getting pulled down, I hate how often I need to look for a new one.