Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Secret Ingredient to Perfect Gravy

One day a waft of homemade cooking streamed from my neighbor's apartment. I was living, temporarily in a senior citizen community while my condo was being remodeled. The little old lady next door had her front door open and the screen door in place.

When I commented about the wonderful smell, she readily invited me in for homemade shrimp alfredo pasta. It was like grandma's home cooking. She could have been my grandmother. Well old folks love to talk and share their abilities and before I knew it she shared her entire recipe. In the process I learned of a secret ingredient for making thickened sauces-Wondra.  It's a flour that does not leave clumps!

So here is my recipe for Turkey gravy.

I recommend making ½ cup gravy per person, since it is Thanksgiving. You need that much gravy to pour over everything, and for leftovers. So here is the formula:
For each cup of gravy, you will need 1 cup turkey or chicken broth, 1 ½ tablespoons drippings, fat or butter and 1 ½ tablespoons flour (preferably the instant kind, Wondra).

Here is a sample recipe for 4 cups gravy serving 8 people:


* 6 tablespoons fat from drippings in roasting pan, and/or butter or a combination

* 6 level tablespoons flour

* 4 cups turkey or chicken broth

After you have taken your turkey out of the oven, transfer it to a platter and cover it loosely with foil. While it is resting, put the roasting pan on the stove. Transfer whatever liquid is in the roasting pan to a glass measuring cup and let it settle. The fat will float to the top. Skim off the fat and measure it. (Save the liquid, as well, to add later.)

Add your turkey or chicken broth along with the Wondra instant flour to your pan drippings, stir over low heat and voila!

No comments: